Recent and ongoing projects since 2012
Consult for a Dutch national newspaper (Trouw) about the national water management policies of the Dutch government. Click here to read the whole article(only available in Dutch).
• Arbeitsgruppe der Hochwassernotgemeinschaft Rhein, Köln, 5 August 2014, Vorschläge eines Unterliegers, Verbesserung der Zusammenarbeit am Niederrhein und Entwicklung von Ideen zur Rhein – Maas – Entlastung, Was kann Deutschland tun, um den Niederlanden und NRW im Klimawandel am Rhein langfristig zu helfen?
• Initiator of Fidai PROFLO (First Dutch Anglo Initiative to Promote Flood resilience) and organizer of a 3 Day UK/NL Event in Wells, London and Lewes (7-9th October, 2014);
• Initiator and project manager of Scaldis Emerge, a community development project in the Dutch/ Belgian border region of Flanders between Bruges and Antwerp, connecting natural and man made canals to the Western Scheldt and the North Sea (municipality of Assende, Belgium);
• (Offer for) integrated socio-economic and touristic development of region along the Atlantic coast around kribi for the Kribi deep port development management together with the university de l’Est Paris (to be decided on in May 2014);
• Organizer and key note speaker international conference (NL, UK, Germany and Cameroon) in Nijmegen NL (30th January 2014) on the strategy on European Rivers facing climate change for the program bureau Knowledge for Climate, Utrecht;
• Project manager: options regional adaptation strategies (ORAS) of the hotspot Rivers for Knowledge for Climate Utrecht in close cooperation with Delta Program, Utrecht;
• One of the three initiators/ members of Aansluitdijk BV Nijmegen. An initiative to compart Lake Ijssel in two lakes by building a new closure between Stavoren and Enkhuizen and two pump accumulation centrals (combining buffering of both energy and water);
• Organizer 3 workshops on climate adaptation and rivers in London (UK), Köln (Germany) and Bamenda (Cameroon) for Program Bureau Knowledge for Climate, Utrecht.
• Facilitator and guide for a two weeks visit of Turkish Erdemli delegation visiting the Netherlands and Germany (Köln) on sanitation, drinking water, flood prevention and other water management issues in EU Knowledge exchange program;
• Member visitation delegation (quality assurance) higher education Water Management Rotterdam (for Netherlands Quality Agency, Utrecht);
• Midterm review contents strategic Delta Decisions (including Lake Ijssel, Rivers, SW Delta and Waddensea area) of the Delta Program for Knowledge for Climate;
• Initiator Scaldis Emerge: an initiative aimed at exploiting core values (cultural heritage, landscape and hospitality) of local rural communities in Dutch and Belgian Flanders by new direct connections for small recreational vessels with the Western Scheldt (each village it’s own recreational port) for Euregio cooperation, provinces (regional authorities) and seven municipalities.
• Keynote speaker University of Eberswalde, Berlin, Germany on Climate adaptation and it’s impacts on rivers and coastal areas in The Netherlands and the United Kingdom (IALE-D Jahrestagung, October 2012);
• Keynote speaker NCR days (Netherlands Center of Riverstudies). “Living with floods or sleeping behind dikes: experiences in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands” (with Richard Coutts, Baca London, Rijnhotel Arnhem, 5 October);
• MSc Validation Land and Water management, Delta Academy, Middelburg;
• Advisor Helsinki city council for the landscape and environmental aspects in construction 2 kilometer bridge Kruunusilat (competition together with Zwarts & Jansma Architects Amsterdam, city Shanghai and under leadpartnership of Knippers und Helbing, Stutgart Germany);
• Visitation higher education Aquatic eco technology Hogeschool Zeeland at Vlissingen (for Netherlands Quality Agency, Utrecht).
• Guiding and organizing excursions for delegations of foreign water managers in The Netherlands (from 2008 onwards) for politicians, civil servants, scientists and/or stakeholders from among others UK, India, Botswana, Morocco, Germany, Ghana, Azerbeijdjan, Vietnam, Turkey and Bulgaria;
• Building and farming with Nature in Bangladesh. Project identification and site visit to Kutubdia for Aquae, IMARES Yerseke and LEI Wageningen for Netherlands Water Partnership;
• ICZM aspects/agribusiness/(eco)tourism/fisheries in Spatial Master Plan development of deep sea harbor in Kribi, Cameroon, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Yaoundé.